There…that’s the small space of ‘relevance’ is where you exist.
We would all love for our friends in the media to love us so much that they can think of nothing else but ‘us’ to write about. However, the real world has different priorities. These priorities change quickly keeping a finger on the pulse of the audience. And each media outlet has a different audience. So, the same message cannot possibly be replicated exactly as you want it across mediums. Logical?
So here are the top five things you must look at to ensure your messaging hits home and is relevant for the media outlet you intend to target (and you can possibly trend for a day…maybe a week! )
- Understand what the audience wants and dovetail your messaging into the ‘buzz’ of the week. It helps if you are on top of the news game and spend time to analyze trends to garner the first mover’s advantage of what’s next.
- While the sanctity of the core messaging can be sacrosanct, be open to modifying your message to the medium. Digital portals vs podcasts vs TV vs print publications will require different hooks and pitches that are customized to their audience.
- Find a strong reason as to why your news is relevant and why it matters ‘now’ because news-worthiness matters more than urgency.
- Tap into the audience mood, industry trends, journalist preferences and target audience preferences of each media outlet you reach out to. The more you customize the higher your chances of making it to the top of the list.
- Arm your PR pitch with research and statistics that will help make your point. Data, data, data.
What would you add to this list?
About Nucleus PR
The 13-year old firm has clients across multiple verticals. With an already established presence in 4 major metros, they have successfully created a strong affiliate network across 88 towns across the country via a team of trusted professional experts. With its inclusion in the exclusive and prestigious worldwide collaborative network of PR firms – PRBI Boutiques International, it adds brilliant minds from over 40 agencies across 14 countries to their resource pool. As the first members from the Asian sub-continent, they represent the entire region in the prestigious international PR network. Their current portfolio includes entertainment, lifestyle, media, hospitality and corporate clients across MNCs, SMEs, and Startups.